万圣节是诸圣节(All Saints’ Day)的俗称,本是天主教等基督宗教的宗教节日,时间是11月1日。以下是小编跟大家分享的关于万圣节习俗的英语介绍，一起来看看吧!
DRESSING IN COSTUMES
Dressing in masks and costumes is a popular Halloween activity.
Costumes can be traditional and scary, such as a witch’s pointy hat and black gown. Costumes may also have a modern flavor.
Many children dress up as movie characters or a favorite superhero.
But Halloween is not just for children. Many adults enjoy showing off their costumes at Halloween parties!
Once in costume, children go from house to house saying “Trick or treat!” In the past, children might play a “trick” on people who did not give treats.
They might pelt houses with eggs or old tomatoes, or play other pranks. Today, children’s cries of “Trick or treat!” are usually rewarded with candy.
HOW HALLOWEEN GOT STARTED
One of the oldest Halloween traditions comes from the ancient Celts, who lived in western and central Europe long ago. The Celts celebrated a holiday called Samhain on October 31.
After sunset that day, people believed that spirits of the dead would rise and walk the earth.
The Celts made offerings of food and drink to keep the spirits away.
Beginning about 2,000 years ago, the Roman Empire conquered many Celtic peoples. But Celtic traditions, including Samhain, remained strong in areas such as Ireland and Scotland, even after the Roman conquest.
The Roman Catholic Church tried to replace Samhain in 835 with All Saints’ Day, a day to honor saints of the Church.
The eve of All Saints’ Day is October 31. It is called Allhallows or Hallowmas by the Church.
HOW DID HALLOWEEN COME TO AMERICA?
Halloween first came to America with early settlers from Celtic areas in Europe, such as Ireland and Scotland.
But other American settlers with strict religious beliefs, including the Puritans from England, rejected Halloween.
The arrival of many Irish immigrants during the 1800s helped spread Halloween’s popularity.
But by the late 1800s, fewer people believed in ancient superstitions of ghosts and witches.
Halloween became more a holiday for children to receive treats and dress in costume.
1. The Halloween celebration comes from All Hallows Day or All Saints Day, the 1st of November. This was originally a pagan festival of the dead, but later became a holiday to honor Christian saints.
万圣节的庆祝活动来源于每年11月1日的All Hallows Day 或All Saints Day. 它原先是异教徒们纪念死者的节日，但是逐渐演变成一个纪念基督圣者的节日。
2. The name Halloween comes from a contractionof All Hallows Eve (Evening)， the day before All Hallows Day. On this night it was believed that the spirits of the dead would try to come back to life!
Halloween就是All Hallows Eve的缩写。而All Hallows Eve(夜晚)是All Hallows Day 的前一天。人们认为在当天晚上，亡者的灵魂会重新复活!
3. Popular Halloween costumes include vampires (creatures that drink blood)， ghosts (spirits of the dead) and werewolves (people that turn into wolves when the moon is full).
4. Dressing up in costumes is one of the most popular Halloween customs, especially among children. According to tradition, people would dress up in costumes (wear special clothing, masks or disguises) to frighten the spirits away。
Dressing up in costumes是最受欢迎的万圣节风俗之一，尤其是受孩子们的欢迎。按照传统习俗，人们会dress up in costumes(穿戴一些特別的服裝，面具或者装饰)来吓跑鬼魂。
5. Trick or Treat is a modern Halloween custom where children go from house to house dressed in costume, asking for treats like candy or toys. If they don't get any treats, they might play a trick (mischief or prank) on the owners of the house.
Trick or Treat 是现代万圣节的风俗。孩子们穿着特殊的衣服走街串巷，讨取糖果和玩具之类的赏赐。如果他们得不到任何的赏赐，就可能会对屋主大搞恶作剧或者胡闹了。
6. There are many other superstitions associated with Halloween. A superstitionis an irrational idea, like believing that the numer 13 is unlucky!
7. The tradition of the Jack o' Lantern comes from a folktale about a man named Jack who tricked the devil and had to wander the Earth with a lantern. The Jack o' Lantern is made by placing a candle inside a hollowed-out pumpkin, which is carved to look like a face。
Jack o' Lantern 的传统来自于一个民间传说。一个名叫Jack的人戏弄了恶魔，之后就不得不提着一盏灯在地球上流浪。Jack o' Lantern是用雕刻成脸型，中间挖空，再插上蜡烛的南瓜做成的。
8. Witches are popular Halloween characters that are thought to have magical powers. They usually wear pointed hats and fly around on broomsticks.
9. Halloween is also associated with supernatural creatures like ghosts and vampires. These creatures are not part of the natural world. They don't really exist... or do they?
10. Bad omens are also part of Halloween celebrations. A bad omen is something that is believed to bring bad luck, like black cats, spiders or bats。